What's In Here
WordPress is one of the hugest platforms, which runs about 66 million of websites. It is used by many small businesses, entrepreneurs, bloggers, etc.
If you want to build a freelance career based on the use of WordPress, it is a good idea, as the number of potential customers is quite high. So, where to start from and what skills to master? Follow this guide to learn more.
How to Profit from Working with WordPress
First of all, it is essential to figure out how one can make money from WP. There are several ways that one can follow, such as:
- Running a blog with relevant and premium content;
- Creating an e-commerce website;
- Building and setting up blogs and websites for clients;
- Developing plugins for WordPress;
- Providing service maintenance for websites;
- Becoming a WordPress consultant.
All of them require knowledge of working with the platform, creating pages, and the use of themes and plugins. However, some of these possibilities demand deeper knowledge of coding and the mechanics behind it.
And one can even combine several skills to multiply the profits. For example, you can create a website showing your skills, offer free and paid content on working with WordPress, and use it for advertising consultant services. Now, let’s talk about skills one should train to become a WordPress professional.
Skills to Master to Profit from WordPress Knowledge
Overall, the level of knowledge one needs to achieve depends on the goal. Developing your plugins is one of the most difficult parts if you have little or no knowledge of coding.
However, creating landing pages, blogs, and customs websites for clients is relatively easy. Whether it is an e-commerce page, landing for write my essay for me service such as https://essaypro.com/write-my-essay.html or even the main website of a startup, the mechanics of the process share the common pattern.
Coding and Development of Sites
If you want to create pages for clients, you need to have advanced knowledge of WordPress. For example, you’ll need to be able to build a customized theme and add necessary plugins. You need to:
It is better to start with the first two points; try to build various websites. Work on creating several samples, like blogs and e-commerce pages.
It is great training and helps in understanding the architecture behind the processes. Secondly, when the samples are ready, they can be used to showcase your skills.
Of course, there are many free ones; however, they do not solve all the issues clients might have with WordPress. Creating a paid plugin that is usable and helps in making the website more effective is a great way to earn money. To build a plugin, you need to know:
This will also help you become a frontend developer and create interactive plugins.
Creating Custom Themes
For those who want to master customized websites, it might be handy to create unique themes. Firstly, it will help in satisfying clients’ needs. Some of them might want to use specific pictures for their pages. Secondly, it will increase your abilities and tools to offer.
The main element here is a basic Photoshop knowledge. There is no need to be a professional in it; you’ll probably need to turn to several features only.
The main one is converting PSD files into HTML. For that, it is better to learn the Movie tool of Photoshop. You also need to know how to trim a picture, use the layers, select one of them, etc.
Other Basic WordPress Skills for a Developer or Consultant
Except for the ones mentioned above, there are several more things one needs to know, to be a successful freelance developer, namely:
- MySQL – this is a free database management system. Any page must store information, so knowing how to operate the database is a must;
- Responsive design – it is a design that ensures the correct performance of the page on various devices, whether it is a desktop or mobile version. It is extremely important as Google has launched the mobile-first index of pages’ ranking. It means that a web page is ranked on its mobile interface before the desktop one.
- Web server administration – it will be handy for those who want to provide maintenance services. After all, building a website is just the first step. Another huge process is ensuring it works effectively without any errors;
- Hosting and domain registration;
- Website optimization.
Of course, as a consultant, you need to have a good knowledge of all these aspects to make a proper analysis of a webpage, noting all the issues and offering improvements.
Creating a blog or e-commerce website is pretty simple and can be done without having a thorough knowledge of coding.
Yet, if you want to become a successful developer or consultant in WordPress, there is the need to master coding languages, working with different formats, providing site security and optimization.